Do you know there are approx five billion mobile users globally? Hence, no business can ever overlook the mobile market. If your business is still not on mobile, maybe it’s high time to develop one.
Once you decide to develop a mobile app, then the real challenge begins- “Android or iOS”. Choosing the right platform proves to be a game-changer. Hence, you need to analyze several factors before picking one. You should know where your target market is- Android or iOS, how unique your app will be, and a lot more.
Below, we have outlined the advantages and disadvantages of Android and iOS development.
Developing Android apps
To develop Android apps, developers use a programming language such as C++, Java, and Kotlin. Furthermore, Android developers use the latter superior Google development tools:
- Firebase is recognized as a comprehensive mobile app development platform
- Android Jetpack, a collection of pre-build Android components
- Android SDK development kit, combined with Android Studio, an integrated development environment
Now, let’s dig into Android app benefits and drawbacks.
Benefits of developing Android apps
- Open system. Android developers get access to more enhanced features, defined in iOS apps.
- Design. Developers use comprehensive Google design guidelines for creating an intuitive user interface.
- Fragmentation. At a certain point, we may think of fragmentation is a disadvantage, but you can create apps for a wider range of devices, including TVs, in-car systems, wearables, and more.
- Release. In comparison to iOS, Android apps are more accessible to publish to Google Play. The whole process may take simply a few hours.
Drawbacks of Android app development
- Fragmentation. As we stated, fragmentation may also be an Android disadvantage. Now, Android devices come in various screen sizes, resolutions, etc. The development team might need more time to modify the app’s features for appropriate devices.
- Testing. Android versions and devices might modify. Thus, it might take more time for QA professionals to test your app.
- Costly. The more time the development and testing phase takes, the greater will be the Android app price. Still, it depends on the app’s characteristics and complexity.
Developing iOS apps
While Android has an open-source code, iOS has concluded source code. This signifies that iOS works on Apple devices only. The development team might use Swift or Objective-C. Plus, iOS developing tools include:
- iOS SDK, or Software Development Kit, is blended with the Cocoa Touch UI framework. The framework provides graphical components, user interface controls, and others.
- XCode is the standard integrated development environment (IDE) for iOS app development.
- It uses Swift environment to develop apps efficiently.
- When it comes to iOS apps, you can go for TestFlight. It is an online service for over-the-air installation and testing. It also shares relevant feedback on the app before release to help you make better changes.
Advantages of iOS mobile app development
- Revenue. As you may now know, Apple users pay more money on app purchases equated to Android users.
- The number of devices. We know that iOS powers Apple devices only. Because of this, your app should fit the restricted number of screens and devices.
- UI design. Apple provides developers with a complete style guide for the app UI. The team requires less time, making it more reasonable in the app design stage.
- Disadvantages of iOS mobile app development
- App release. Remember, the App Store has quite stringent review guidelines. This suggests that the App Store may refuse your app due to safety issues, a lack of relevant content, or poor performance. Besides, the developer should suggest your app for real-life testing, which normally takes a few days.
- Flexibility. iOS apps are habitually hard to customize because the platform has many limitations.
Now, it’s time to compare both platforms.
IOS vs. Android Development Comparison
Demographics put some light on Android and iOS users. Android currently sustains the most vital global platform share. This market share originates from developing countries and lower-income areas.
So, iOS users are more modern, with a higher level of education, greater commitment, and earn more money, so they spend more per app.
- Development cost
When deciding between iOS vs Android development, consider that the predicted app prices might be costlier for Android development. As previously discussed, Android OS powers multiple devices with different screen sizes. This fact raises the development time, as well as the costs. On the other hand, iOS has a restricted amount of devices, which also advances the development process.
Both iOS and Android OS have their personal simulators for app testing. Still, there are some variations between them. TestFlight, the iOS testing environment, is more agile than the Android emulator. At the same time, the Android emulator pragmatic machine is more powerful and has a more genuine representation.
- App Updates
Both iOS and Android announces new updates at least once a year. Therefore, consider that updating the iOS apps for the new OS release may take up to two weeks and affect your product roadmap and business strategy.
When choosing between iOS vs Android app development, consider that it is more relevant to have higher numbers of users or fewer users that engage more often. This choice will depend on how you’ll choose to monetize an app.